Planning a visit to Catalina Island in the near future? No matter what your interests may be, you’re in for a fun getaway! Catalina Island is a fantastic destination spot for families, couples and people of all ages and interests.
So, what are the best things to do on Catalina Island? We’ve collected a list of some must-try activities while you’re enjoying your stay. Take a look!
- Wrigley Memorial and Botanical Gardens: This is a truly gorgeous spot on the island, about a 30-minute hike from the beach, but you can also get there by golf cart or bike. The site features 37 acres of botanical gardens with native California and Channel Islands plants, and a great view from the tower overlook.
- Luau Larry’s: If you see tourists in straw hats walking around the island, they’ve been to Larry’s. This burger and drinks location features the Wiki Wacker, a boozy beverage that comes with a straw hat. It’s a fun, lively spot with good bar food and live music.
- Rent a golf cart: Want to cover more ground on the island? Consider renting a golf cart to zip around and explore Avalon. You can easily get over the top to see some amazing views and historical structures, as well as some spots you might not otherwise come across.
- Enjoy the beach at Descanso Beach Club: There are plenty of free beaches on the island, but this beach club is the only beach on the island where you’re legally allowed to drink alcohol. Get a cabana, bring a book and enjoy a drink on the beach. You can also rent paddleboards, snorkels and kayaks, while enjoying live music and DJs.
- Take in some history: Do you enjoy experiencing some good local cultural heritage when visiting a new place? Head to the Catalina Island Museum to explore the island’s history. You’ll learn about how William Wrigley, Jr. (famous for his chewing gum) purchased the island and turned it into a spot for vacationers more than 100 years ago. It’s been a destination spot for Hollywood stars, was the site of Natalie Wood’s mysterious death and once held Chicago Cubs spring training exercises (Wrigley owned the Cubs).
- Enjoy a zip line adventure: Looking for something a bit more energizing? Consider going on a Zip Line Eco Tour, which will have you whizzing through canyons and the countryside 600 feet above Descanso Beach. It gives you tremendous views and some heart-pounding excitement!
- Hiking: If you’re more of an outdoors enthusiast, there are plenty of opportunities for hiking on the island. Catalina Island has 165 miles of hiking trails inland, which will get you up close and personal to the native flora and fauna (including tiny island foxes and the local bison).
These are just a few of the many activities available for you to enjoy during your Catalina Island stay. For more tips to make your Catalina trip a blast, get in touch with the team at Catalina Dream Vacations today—we look forward to helping you plan your visit!